Cold Shower vs. Hot Shower: What Are The Benefits?
Both cold and hot showers have their benefits, but which one is best for you? In this article, we'll discuss the pros and cons of both so that you can decide which is best for you.
Benefits of taking a cold shower include:
- Calms itchy skin
- Can make you feel more awake and alert
- Increases blood circulation
- Reduces muscle soreness post-workout
- Gives your hair and skin a healthy glow
- Enhances immunity
The cons of cold showers:
- Cold showers might not be a good idea if you’re already cold, since it’ll increase the amount of time it will take for your body to warm back up.
- They’re a no-no if you’re sick. The cold temperature might be too hard on your immune system, so it’s best to ease into the cooler temperatures.
Benefits of taking a hot shower include:
If you struggle to relax and sleep at night, you might be tempted to take a hot shower to help ease stress.
It’s a common practice for muscle relaxation before bed because hot showers activate the parasympathetic nervous system which makes us tired.
Hot showers can also offer relief from respiratory symptoms. Standing in a hot shower with the steam surrounding you can help to open airways and clear out nasal passages.
The cons of hot showers:
- Hot showers can be drying for your skin and increase irritability.
- They’re not suitable for all skin types, especially ones that are already affected by certain skin conditions, like eczema. They will worsen under hot water.
- They can make your blood pressure shoot up. If you are prone to high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease, taking a shower that’s too hot can worsen these conditions.
Verdict: Most experts agree that taking a lukewarm shower is probably best! Cold showers can help you to feel more alert and hot showers can help you unwind. Your preference will likely be dependant on your mood, stress level and activities planned after the shower. A note of caution, however -- you should avoid taking extremely cold or extremely hot showers, as doing so could be harmful to health.
Showering is something you should look forward to, that’s why we’ve designed a range of eco-friendly shower heads with features to enhance your shower experience.